News from a small town

The past week or so has had more then it's fair share of news making events for my home town.
There were two fires(one arson, one wood stove related), two deaths of community icons and one school threat. Now that's allot of our small town. So Let me go into details about them in the order in which they happened.

The first one was the passing of Dolores" Dee" Meyer a former 4 term mayor of Medford.
  
When she was mayor she helped do allot for the area. One of her biggest project was developing the river walk along the river. It included bridges, flowers, a gazebo, picnic tables, a paved walkway, a fishing dock, and trees.
She was a leader and pioneer in the political world. And paved the way for other women in the community. She was 86.

The next thing that happened last Saturday was a fire on main street.
It was a newer business Called Main Street Grill and Pizza. And it was arson.
The owner of the business is being charged.
His name is David Johnson.
Because of his apparent stupidity two other business were severely damaged.



The next thing that happened was another death an economic titan and noted philanthropist.
Joseph 'Pep' Simek.
   
He was a co-founder of Tombstone Pizza.Plus many other ventures. Like helping do things for the community. Helping build a new fire hall,a new library and the Simek center. He was involved with Enerquip through the years. He even started another pizza business up called Pep's Pizza. They had sold Tombstone pizza to Kraft after 25 years. (They started it in 1962). But now Nestle owns it.
I'm sure you could look him up on line and read allot more about him because what I've said is only the tip of what this man has done for this community and other places.

The next thing that happened was another fire.
This one was started by a wood stove. No one was hurt but the person who lived there lost everything.All he had was the clothes on his back. He had just started work, (he works third shift where I work) when the call came in.So the only clothes he had was his white uniform.  

The last major thing started on Thursday when someone found a note in a girls bathroom at the high school indicating that the boyfriend of the girl who wrote this note was going to, lets say cause death at the school on Friday. I don't have any kids in school so I didn't know any of this until the next day. Parents where called telling of the situation and were told if they didn't want to sent their kids to school on Friday it would not be held against them. Most parents did not send their kids to school that day. Even if they did, all kids were searched and so was the rest of the school.
Did they catch the person that did this? Yes. All I know right now is it was a 17 year old girl. She will be in court on Monday.
I don't know about you but I'm tired of people doing this kind of senseless acts to get attention. If I could I would say you want attention? I'll give you attention. I'll set you in the middle of the gym floor with a dunce hat on. Have the whole school sitting in the bleachers looking at you. I will say "I present to you an idiot."
But seeing that would bring about more trouble than they were worth I guess they will have to live with the fact that they have no one to blame for the direction their live will take from there on out. It won't be a pretty one either.

Well that's my news for now.
Till next time.
Keep on pondering the pondering possibilities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jean Viken Cold Case

Jean Viken update and other local things.

Pondering Japan's Earthquake