Dells Mill water powered Museum

This past weekend the husband and I took one of our little day trips. this time we went to Dells Mill by Augusta Wisconsin.

I've seen pictures of this place for many years and we thought it was time to really check it out.
For me it was great  a place to go.I'm hoping to go back again. Maybe when the leaves are turning.
We meet the owner Gus Clark.
He is the 4th generation of Clark's to own the mill.
I enjoyed it very much. Gus knows allot about history. He takes you through the mill explaining how things worked and also the history how grinding changed over time starting in Roman times.
While giving his tour he wears a hat from the civil war times. The mill was built by civil war soldiers. 
Back in 1972 he rode his horse Clementine from Jim Falls to Galena Illinois for the celebration of U.S. Grant's sesquicentennial. He did it in 7 days. His goal was to link mill property to other historic places in the U.S.A. I might recall something on the news about it at the time but I'm not sure, I was only a kid at the time.

Here is a picture of the husband in front of a wagon. The kind of wagon used way back by families for moving.
There are so many things to see. Like an old map of Wisconsin.
We were there not long after he opened for the day and got to watch him grease the wheel for the day. He greases it everyday.

I'm going to see if I can get a video I shot while there. If I can get it to post right. This is Gus singing one of the two songs he sang for us.





Now I hope I can get it to work. 
If you want to check it out go to www.dellsmill.com/ to learn more about it. It's a great place for all interested in history to see.

So till next time.
Keep on pondering the pondering possibilities.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jean Viken Cold Case

Jean Viken update and other local things.

Pondering Japan's Earthquake