Is Something Wrong with my Home Town?

It's a question I keep asking myself. People live and work here but they don't like to do anything else here. Like not last weekend but the weekend before we did a production of "A year with Frog and Toad." I know I was involved with it so I might sound a little opinionated but it was a very good show. The people who saw it loved it. But they were small audiences. Most people in my home town would rather go to another town or go camping then to spend time here.
This last weekend they had the Annual Auto fest in the park. There was also craft booths set up along the river walk. My youngest one and I went to check out the crafts. When we got there there was hardly anything there. Other years there have been more booths set up but not this year. And the number of cars on show was I think way down. Each year it gets less and less.
This next weekend will be the County fair. I know it will once again be a bust. It has gotten worse and worse over the years. The same old same old. No one wants to do anything different. It does not help much that it is the same weekend as the fair in Wausau. I know our fair is based more to 4H kids but lets face it there are not as many farms and farm kids as there use to be.
The price of things at a fair is expensive no matter what fair you go to, but that's not the point. They need other things to bring people in to town, besides beer.

I often wish this town could have an arts and entertainment center of some kind. But they would rather have a field house. They could use a new pool for the school. But why does everything have to be connected to the school?
If I could I would love to find people who could invest in a theater where local talent could put on shows or other performers could put on a show of some kind every once in awhile. There could classrooms that could be rented out to teach different things and even a place to display art work.
There are more then likely allot of other small towns just like mine. Where people feel that no one wants to invest in their home town, or the same people or families are always making the chooses.

Oh well, I got that off my mind. Sorry for my whining but it's been on my mind allot lately. Maybe putting it out into the universe could change things or maybe not.


Thought of the day:
"Sometimes your skin is only holding it all together."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jean Viken Cold Case

Jean Viken update and other local things.

Pondering Japan's Earthquake