A letter to Howard

I decided it was time to start posting some of the old letters that were sent to my grandpa in 1919 and 1920's. I decided to post this one because I was able to match it with one of the old pictures that I have . On the back is written Chicago girls. One of girls is Theresa Billy Lambert. Another girl is Kathrine Shirley Clary. Both of these girls wrote to my Grandpa starting in 1919 to about 1924. The others in the picture are two sisters and a brother to Theresa. I'm not sure exactly how old they were in this picture but I think they might have been 17 or 18.
So here is the letter that was sent on Oct 19, 1919:

Dear Howard:
      I am answering your letter which I received several days ago. Just as usual, Chicago is still exciting as ever. It is pretty cold out here, how is the weather out there?
Will you please make or send me a few of those pictures we had taken on the small pile of hay that time. You know where Kathryn, my sisters, my brother and myself are all laying on a hay pile? Well about three will be enough. I lost all of those that I had. I have been going to dances every Thursday night and am having a swell time but I wish I was in Hayward. The city is all right but nothing like a small town for me. How about it? Did I ever tell you about the man who tortured a little girl and then buried her half alive in her own basement in a coal pile. They looked for the girl four days and he knew it all the time. I don't see how he could stand it. Well he is going to hang at sunrise to-morrow. Imagine it is awful. Another murder was committed Sunday morning in the loop. A man killed two men with an iron bar. The police have not found him yet but I guess they will. Because two or three men saw him before he killed the men. Nobody knows why he killed those men or anything. Say listen can you make those pictures of me any lighter? But I suppose it is to much trouble. I am working in this office and so is Kathryn. We are doing office work. We have a lot of fun with one man. He is Irish and full of devilment. By the way we going to have a Halloween party in one girls basement &  we are going to decorate it all up. Write soon and tell me about your Halloween party.
                                                                                                           Well so long for this time.
                                                                                                             T. Billy Lambert

I did correct a few words that were spelled wrong. Where she worked was P.F. Collier & Sons. They were Publishers of Good Books. It was in the Webster Building. I wonder it it's still there? The building I mean.
I'm hoping to some day find all the families of the women who wrote to my grandpa all those years ago and share the letters with them.
So if anyone out there knows any on people in this picture don't be afraid to let me know.
Well time to go. Till next time.
Keep Pondering.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jean Viken Cold Case

Jean Viken update and other local things.

Pondering Japan's Earthquake