Cheesy Me and A Home Town story

I'm still pondering about what this blog is about. I told myself that I would try not to talk about where I work or to much about my family, but you want to know what, it's almost impossible not to do this. I've worked for the same place for over 27 years. It's hard to come here and not want to write about things that happened at work without saying what we do. So I've decided that I will write from time to time about things that are happening at work, but I will not say the name of the company. I will say what we do, to a point. We package cheese for other companies. We do not make it, we package it. I don't think I'll say what companies they are but I will say how they are packaged. I will also include some of the dramas that happen there. Some times it's worse then a soap opera.
I don't work on a line any more. I'm an issuer. I work with a scan gun. That means when the cheese comes out either in 40 pound blocks, 640 barrels, 180 pound block(that's swiss) mozzarella loaves, or long round loaves like fontinella, it has a scan tag with it. I scan the tag in to the right order so they can keep track of the right amount of cheese going into the right order. I also make trim tags for the cheese that is cut away depending on the cut there is always trim, except when the cheese is shredded. When they are done I return what is left of the cheese. It's allot of running back and forth. Most days I'm in charge of 5 to 6 lines. And if one or more lines have allot of little orders, I can put on 5 miles just running back and forth. I do have a table where I keep my paper work and things.
This year they decided to try and keep the temp in the production area around 58 to 60 degrees. I now wear a long john top under my uniform. Yes I'm all in white. I also where a lab coat. So I have three shirts on. Some people wear even more. My legs don't get cold so it's just one pair of pants. It is required to wear steel toed shoes. Don't forget ear plugs and hair nets. It's very loud in there. For some reason the PA has gotten louder. I try to tell people to whisper into it so at least it takes the edge off. I have to talk on it often calling for cheese or other things. I whisper but it doesn't sound like it.
That's enough of a cheese lesson. Here is a story someone sent me about someone from where I live.

Wis. man says truck headed for milestone

Fri Feb 1, 10:05 PM ET

MEDFORD, Wis. - Frank Oresnik is on the verge of making history driving his old standby — the pickup truck he says is about to pass the 1 million mile mark.

Oresnik took the 1991 Chevrolet Silverado to the Oil Ex-Change Quick Lube in Medford on Thursday for what he expects will be its last oil change and tuneup before hitting the magic number.

He said the truck is 1,200 miles from a million, and once he hits the mark he will retire the vehicle.

"I feel almost like the longtime NFL player as he goes into his last training camp knowing this is the end," Oresnik said.

He credits proper maintenance and a good measure of luck for allowing the truck to rack up so many miles. He said he's had more than 300 oil changes and tuneups at the Medford business, going in every 3,000 miles.

The truck has had four radiators, three gas tanks, five transmissions and six water pumps, but the engine has never been overhauled, Oresnik said.

He bought the Silverado in June 1996 after the original owner put 41,000 miles on it. Oresnik uses the vehicle to deliver seafood in three states, putting on about 85,000 miles a year.

I wish they would have put a picture of the truck with the story.
I have couple of questions :
What three states does he deliver the seafood and why a pickup truck? What kind of seafood? And are we talking seafood from an ocean or a great lake?

I've told you what I do and where I live. Maybe now I'll be able to write more interesting things. Maybe.

The thought for the day:
Take pleasure in the journey, as arriving is its end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jean Viken Cold Case

Jean Viken update and other local things.

Pondering Japan's Earthquake